Vanarama National League South

BRAINTREE Town manager Brad Quinton admitted that his team were "nowhere near" reaching their potential as they went down to a 1-0 home defeat by Weston Super Mare.

Having been top of the Vanarama National League South at the start of the day, the Iron paid the price for a lacklustre second half as the visitors snatched the points with a 51st minute goal that Braintree had no response to.

“It was very frustrating," said Quinton.

“For me personally, I think we’re better than that and we were nowhere near where we are capable of being.

“Weston Super Mare were determined and moved the ball well so we had a good base and formation in front of us; they didn’t just sit back and played some good football.

“But some of our guys went missing in the second half, which is unlike us."

Buoyed by their previous game that had taken them clear at the top of the Vanarama National League South table, Braintree were unchanged from the side that won the fixture at Poole Town seven days before.

They had had to be patient before taking the lead in that game in Dorset, but it was a positive start this time and the hosts went close to unlocking the Weston Super Mare defence in the third minute.

A lovely ball forward from Samir Bihmoutine set Karl Oliyide free and visiting keeper Luke Purnell had to make an early save to keep things level.

Bihmoutine was involved again in the tenth minute when he laid the ball on for Dernell Wynter to put the ball in the net, but an offside flag denied the Iron an opening goal.

It was then Wynter’s turn to almost turn provider as he won the ball with a strong challenge and crossed for Phil Roberts to fire for goal, but a deflection kept Braintree out this time.

They had the ball in the back of the net again on 32 minutes when Oliyide tucked it in after Roberts’ initial effort had been blocked but an offside decision again stood between the Iron and an opening goal.

That meant, despite Braintree having the better of the first-half play, it stayed level at the break and the Iron were soon ruing not making more of their chances after the restart.

In the 51st minute, Weston Super Mare went ahead when Ashley Harper fired home a shot that Iron keeper Nathan McDonald was unable to keep out.

It was a blow for the hosts and after they were unable to muster a quick response they made changes up front with Roman Michael-Percil and Marcel Barrington coming on for Wynter and Roberts respectively.

However, a goal just wouldn’t come in a disappointing second half as the Iron were made to pay for not taking chances in the first half.

Braintree Town: Nathan McDonald, Mahrez Bettache, Marc-Anthony Okoye, Christian Frimpong, Joe Ellul, Samir Bihmoutine, Billy Crook, Ben Wyatt, Karl Oliyide (Ricky Gabriel 88), Phil Roberts (Marcel Barrington 72), Dernell Wynter (Roman Michael-Percil 64).

Subs not used: Matt Baxter, Osa Obamwonyi.

Referee: Jason Richardson.