WITHAM Town enjoyed a comfortable 3-0 victory over a Walthamstow side that showed little sign of their position just outside the Pitching In Isthmian League division north play-off places, writes JIM PURTILL.

Town were on the front foot straight from the start and they took a 12th-minute lead when Khris Oti headed them in front.

Five minutes later Ollie Bell's pass put Josh Osude through on goal and the striker doubled Witham’s lead with a good finish.

Walthamstow looked supine in the face of Witham’s early attacking prowess.

Osude almost increased Witham’s lead in the 25th minute with a shot that narrowly missed the target.

The visitors recovered from the early onslaught and began to show some composure towards the end of the first half.

Brian Moses-Songolo started to show his effectiveness in leading the line, while Kymani Thomas on the left was the attacking outlet but the energetic Bell restricted his effectiveness.

Braintree and Witham Times:

Te Wihongi's free-kick found the side netting in the visitors’ best first-half chance, before Witham scored again in the 43rd minute.

McFadden's corner on the right was met by a fierce header by Freddie King that gave Walthamstow goalkeeper Roraigh Browne no chance.

The visitors had not conceded three goals in the first half of any previous match this season.

They had nothing to lose in the second period and they showed much more attacking commitment.

Their recent record of scoring two goals in their previous four matches was evident but despite enjoying greater possession in the Witham half, they found it difficult to fashion acceptable chances.

Witham goalkeeper Harry Fairs saved well from Eman Okunja in the 58th minute.

The visitors’ commitment to more men in the attack in the second half was undermined by a hapless and sometimes chaotic defensive performance.

Braintree and Witham Times:

Ali Njie was lucky to receive only a yellow card for an ugly challenge on Witham’s Deese Kasinga-Madia in the 69th minute.

He was substituted three minutes later but worse was to follow for the visitors when Bilal Sayoud was sent off for stamping in the 75th minute.

There had been no realistic chance of a Walthamstow recovery even with a full complement, but losing a player reduced their hopes to zero.

Imminent matches against promotion-seeking Brentwood Town, Lowestoft Town and Felixstowe and Walton United will be a big challenge to Witham but they will take heart from the manner of this performance.

In recent seasons Witham have struggled to score more than one goal per match and manager Garry Kimble’s more attacking style is reflected in the league table.

Town's points total so far this season is already higher than the final total in any campaign since 2017/18.