WITHAM Town claimed an impressive 3-0 win over Heybridge Swifts to complete a league double over Steve Tilson's side, writes JIM PURTILL.

Two first-half goals laid the foundation for a well-deserved victory for Garry Kimble's side at the Simarco Stadium that defied the Pitching In Isthmian League division north form book.

Witham but they raced into an early lead when Luke Ige scored from close range.

Patrick Ahern nearly doubled their lead in the 14th minute when his header from a corner was turned over the bar by Heybridge goalkeeper Callum Chafer.

Witham goalkeeper Harry McKie denied Danny Nesbitt but nearly all the early action took place in the Swifts’ half.

Witham right-back Ollie Bell had a shot saved by Chafer before Ige scored again in the 28th minute with a powerful header from a corner.

It was a well-taken goal but a poor one to concede for Heybridge, who looked vulnerable from set pieces throughout the evening.

Sam Bantick shot wide for Heybridge shortly before the break and Ige's spectacular effort went over from another Witham corner.

Heybridge opened the second half with a far more positive attitude, committing more men to the attack and showing greater organisation in midfield.

Braintree and Witham Times:

The game became more physical as Swifts grew in determination.

They met stiff resistance from Ahern and Joseph Alatise in the heart of the Witham defence and Bell was outstanding for the hosts.

Jones and Kane Munday both fired shots over from the edge of the area for the visitors, while a cross from Jones flashed across the goalmouth.

A shot cannoned off McFadden and almost entered the Witham net but the hosts weathered the storm.

Swifts' pressure on the home defence decreased and in the 60th minute, Witham effectively sealed their win.

Deese Kasinga-Madia's low, deflected shot found the net, after a corner had not been cleared properly.

Bantick had a rare off day for Heybridge and he missed a glorious chance to reduce the arrears in the 68th minute.

Finding himself unmarked on the edge of the six-yard box and with only McKie to beat, he tamely lifted the ball over the bar.

There were still chances at both ends; Bell foiled another Bantick effort and Josh Osude went close for Witham shortly before the end, as the hosts claimed victory.