BRAINTREE Town lost 1-0 at Farnborough and how they came away from Cherrywood Road empty handed will be one of the biggest ever mysteries in the club's history, writes DAVID WARD.

The Iron completely dominated the National League South game, tore the home side to pieces in the first half, missed five reasonably easy gilt-edged chances to score then and even in the second half, squandered four similar chances and also had a header and shot cleared off the line.

To miss so many comparatively easy chances over the 90 minutes was a bitter disappointment for the Braintree fans in the 1,005 crowd.

But of course being so in charge of the game and not taking even one chance was as always likely to come back to haunt the Iron.

It did just that on 74 minutes when they totally unnecessarily conceded a penalty and gave Farnborough an undeserved victory.

Braintree and Witham Times:

Braintree boss Angelo Harrop said: "I'm really disappointed for the players because they did so well, played great football and created so many chances all we needed was one to go in.

"We should have been three or four goals up at the interval as we were in total charge and how we missed some of the chances I simply don't know.

"I can't criticise them because their work ethic, work rate and the football they played was really outstanding.

"I just knew that we might pay for missing those chances and they could snatch a goal against the run of play and that's exactly what happened - situations like that always come back to bit you in the bum as we say.

"Even conceding the goal I still thought we could come back and get at least a deserved equaliser and late on we had a shot and header cleared off their line and I then sense it wasn't going to be our day.

Braintree and Witham Times:

"I am disappointed because the team played so well and we knew it would be a tough place to come but that's football and now we move on.

"But it's over and done with, we must learn from the setback and now set our sights on winning our next two games again arch rivals Chelmsford City."

Braintree's starting line-up included back again Boris Altintop after his brief sojourn with Dartford and he was made captain following the news that recent skipper John White has left the club, having only been a fringe player this season.

The club have also released on-loan full-back Ben Mason who has returned to his parent club Wimbledon while Sammy Braybrook has gone back to Ipswich Town.

Braintree's management team are now concentrating on bringing in a new striker in the New Year to compensate for the recent departure of Will Davies to York City.

The Iron should have taken the lead within the first minute when Aaron Blair broke clear but his low shot just missed the far upright with the home keeper beaten.

Braintree and Witham Times:

The chances kept coming in droves particularly during the first half with Matt Ward, Alfie Payne, Shaquile Coulthirst and Tom Blackwell all seeing their efforts somehow miss the net.

The second half was much the same with the Iron continuing to push forward and again chances went begging, with an Altintop header and a Blair shot cleared off the line late on.

Farnborough grabbed their winner when Aaron Kuhl slotted home a penalty, giving Iron keeper Jack Simms no chance.

Braintree host rivals Chelmsford City on Boxing Day, kick-off 3pm.