TWO glaring schoolboy goalkeeping errors denied Braintree Town at least a point after they lost 2-0 at league leaders Yeovil Town at a rain-sodden Huish Park after they had dominated the second half, writes DAVID WARD.

Only a last-minute second goal gave the Glovers a somewhat flattering victory, in National League South.

The first setback came on 29 minutes when Iron's loanee goalkeeper Vincente Reyes unnecessarily rushed out to the edge of the area to try and punch clear a high right wing cross with his defenders in position.

It left the ball to land at the feet of experienced home skipper Matt Worthington 25 yards out and he cleverly lobbed it back into the top corner of the Iron net.

The second calamity came in the last minute of ordinary time with the Iron pushing forward hard for an equaliser and the home side broke clear with striker Jake Hyde, clearly in an offside position.

Braintree and Witham Times:

The young Norwich City keeper Reyes started to come out to confront him but then for some reason backtracked towards his goal-line, allowing the forward to simply side step him and slide the ball into the net.

This late goal shouldn't have been allowed but it rather summed up the inconsistency all afternoon of referee Samuel Read.

Certainly overall the Iron deserved to return home with at least a point, particularly for their impressive second-half performance and they would have done but for the two mistakes by the keeper.

Yeovil might be league leaders but they are certainly far from being the best side the Iron have played so far, this season.

Despite being disappointed with the outcome, Braintree manager Angelo Harrop was pleased with his side's performance.

Braintree and Witham Times:

He said: "We worked hard to compete with what is a full-time side and the players certainly did that and I think we dealt better with the difficult conditions.

"The players are really deflated in the dressing room and I can understand that but I'm proud of them.

"Mistakes happen in every game and you just have to get on with it and the players certainly did that today.

"We all know the margins between winning and losing are so fine and it was certainly the case today where two mistakes cost us two goals but that happens in football.

"I do feel we were outstanding today and definitely in the second half where had we converted just one of our crosses into the area it would have put us level - they had just one shot on goal in the second half and that shows how well played."

Braintree and Witham Times:

Harrop praised the loyal 57 Iron fans who made the 500-mile round trip to the game adding: "They were fantastic as ever and despite being up against 3,708 home fans still made a great noise to keep our players going to the final whistle.

"As for the conditions that worsened during the game with such torrential rain I felt we coped the better of the two teams, played more football and pressed hard and never gave up.

"There are so many positives to take from the game and I'm certain we will get back to winning ways when we host Havant and Waterlooville next Saturday."

Braintree kept pushing forward in the second half and overall created good scoring chances with seven balls crossed in from the wings, only to see them skid inches away from an Iron player in the penalty box.

Braintree and Witham Times:

With new experienced striker Shaquille Coulthirst making his debut and versatile Leon Davies slotting into the left-back position after Matt Carson returned to Southampton after his month's loan spell, the Iron more than coped in dealing with the Yeovil attacks whilst throughout the afternoon always caused some panicky moments in their defence when put under pressure.

Despite all the positives though it was those two dreadful mistakes that cost the Iron at least a point in the end and naturally there's always sympathy for any goalkeeper who is the last line of defence and no doubt in due course, the 19-year-old Canary youngster will learn from this game.