WITHAM Town drew 2-2 with New Salamis at the Simarco Stadium in an entertaining encounter that could have gone either way, writes JIM PURTILL.

Town will rue their failure to gain all three points after dominating the match for long periods and having ample opportunities to win the game.

After a subdued opening, Witham took control and Liam Whipps had a shot diverted for a corner after 15 minutes.

Jeffrey Cobblah and Darius Ghinea were impressive in the attack for Witham in the early stages, but New Salamis created the better chances.

The ageless Derek Asamoah had a fierce shot blocked by Joseph Alatise after 14 minutes while Micah Jackson shot just wide for the visitors, four minutes later.

Witham took a 25th-minute lead when Rowan Dorling's long throw created panic in the visitors’ defence.

Spyros Mentis headed the ball against his own crossbar and Cobblah forced the ball home from close range.

The hosts were on top and created chances. Whipps was prominent in supporting the attack and a clever pass from him almost put Ronnie Bates through on goal.

Albert Mengi's shot was parried with difficulty by keeper Sam Soutar and Mengi shot wide shortly afterwards, as Witham pressed for a second.

Witham were attacking in numbers but paid the price for not scoring again when a speedy break on the left by New Salamis led to Josh Williams equalising, after 41 minutes.

It was against the run of play and signalled a change in the pattern of the proceedings.

The match opened up and became an end-to-end affair.

Luke Ige headed over for Witham in the 51st minute, with the industry of Ghinea and the presence of Freddie King helping to create chances.

New Salamis defended for long periods but their attacks carried more menace than in the first half.

The Witham defence looked less assured when their attacks broke down and Asamoah and Jackson caused problems, in an absorbing contest.

Asamoah forced Witham keeper Amarildo Cekrezi into a point-blank save before putting the visitors ahead with a 67th-minute penalty.

It was a major shock for the hosts who found themselves a goal down, despite being dominant for most of the match.

The introduction of debutant Andrew Sesay gave the Witham attack a sharper cutting edge and they attacked with more conviction.

Cobblah headed just over before Sesay snatched a 77th-minute equaliser with a header.

Witham finish strongly an pressed for a winner an Sesay almost scored after combining well with Cobblah. But despite the late pressure, Witham had to be content with their fifth draw in nine league matches.