WITHAM Town's game with Walthamstow was abandoned three minutes after the half-time interval following torrential rain, writes JIM PURTILL.

The heavens opened at half-time and as the second half started, it was immediately obvious that events had taken a farcical turn as it was impossible for either side to play controlled football.

The referee correctly ruled that abandonment was the only option, given the state of the pitch and the continuing heavy rain.

It was a disappointing outcome for the spectators as the first half had been enjoyable to watch and the match was finely balanced.

Witham had performed very well and matched their hosts, who expect to finish in a good position in the league table at the end of the season.

The game had a lively tempo from the start.

Witham goalkeeper Nick Eyre was called into action in the third minute when he saved smartly.

Witham were the livelier side in attack with Liam Whipps being active on the left and Jeff Cobblah unsettling the home defence with his pace on the right.

Both players combined well in the 12th minute in a move that ended with Cobblah forcing a corner.

Walthamstow took the lead in the 25th minute.

It was against the run of play and it was a disappointing goal for Witham to concede but it owed a lot to the determination of Percy Winter.

He fended off several challenges before shooting from the left and the ball nestled into the bottom right-hand corner, to put the hosts ahead.

Witham reacted well to going behind and settled into a fluid passing game that put pressure on the hosts.

Braintree and Witham Times:

Gaz Dauti, Harry Norman and Rash Salau were prominent in midfield as the visitors went in search of an equaliser.

Whipps shot over the bar on the half-hour mark and he made a brilliant break on the left two minutes later.

Intelligent movement by striker Ronnie Bates created a good chance for Witham but Walthamstow goalkeeper Matthew Nolan parried the shot from Bates.

George Ironton curled a shot over for the hosts but Witham equalised after 43 minutes.

An attacking throw-in by Rowan Dorling on the right was headed away by Walthamstow’s J’Ardell Stirling.

The ball fell perfectly into the path of Cobblah who was just inside the penalty area and he shot fiercely into the net. At this point an abandonment looked unlikely but the half-time deluge quickly ended any possibility of the Pitching In Isthmian League division north match continuing. The sides will meet again at Wadham Lodge on a date to be agreed.