WITHAM Town ended the season on a winning with a 1-0 triumph at Maldon and Tiptree, writes JIM PURTILL.

Town finished the Pitching In Isthmian League division north season on a high, thanks to Farai Tsingano's 76th-minute winner at the Wallace Binder Stadium.

One goal was enough to decide the contest in which both sides struggled to find quality in attack.

There was an end-of-season feel to the proceedings, with little to excite the crowd.

Maldon were livelier in attack in the early stages and Louie Remi forced Witham goalkeeper Ben Lane to make a 12th-minute save.

Seven minutes later, Maldon’s Michael Salako shot wildly over the bar in what proved to be the Jammers’ best chance of the match.

Soon after, Terrell Egbri's cross on the left found Remi who had the goal at his mercy but he failed to make proper contact with the ball, at the far post.

After being on the back foot, Witham grew into the game.

Callum Matthews became more influential in midfield and the match developed into an even contest.

Defender Ryan Richefond supported the Witham attack well but neither side had enough controlled possession.

There were too many long balls from both sets of defenders with neither goalkeeper was troubled and chances few and far between.

Maldon's best attacks involved Remi on the right. He delivered a number of crosses but his efforts were in vain as the hosts failed to take advantage of them.

A good pass from Matthews found Arnold Mengi in space for Witham shortly before the break but his shot was blocked.

The first half had been low on quality from both sides.

Witham had shown little attacking endeavour but they improved after the break and had a more positive attitude.

The visitors began to look like the side more likely to break the deadlock.

Ramiah Mills saw more of the ball and he forced ex-Witham goalkeeper Rob Budd to save well at the expense of a corner.

Rash Salau hit a fierce shot from distance over the bar for Witham in the 62nd minute.

Jamahl Godward, who began the season with Witham, was introduced from the bench by the hosts and Maldon looked more assured in midfield but it was the visitors who took the lead.

The ball broke to Mengi just outside the penalty area on the left and although Budd parried his powerful shot, Tsingano pounced on the rebound.

He made just enough contact to divert the ball into the net beyond the reach of Budd and the despairing run of home defender Joe Turpin.

Lane faced shots from Lewis Jaggs and Peter Mokwenye before the end but it was no surprise that there were no significant chances for either side before the final whistle.