BRAINTREE Town deservedly won their BBC Essex Senior Cup final after beating Concord Rangers 2-0, at the Jobserve Community Stadium, writes DAVID WARD.

It was rather a one-sided game and in terms of territorial control and goal chances, Iron should really have been three or four goals up by the interval instead of a solitary 11th-minute opener from Matt Rush.

Urged on by the vast majority of their fans making up the 2,428 crowd, the Iron were well in control throughout against their rather disappointing National League South rivals with keeper Jack Sims not having a direct shot to save all evening.

It left Iron manager Angelo Harrop, in his first season at the club, with the side's first county cup silverware for more than 26 years and he was a happy man at the final whistle.

Braintree and Witham Times:

He said: "It's a fantastic feeling and I think all the players deserve to win.

"I was particularly pleased with the first half performance because we played some excellent controlled, passing football, creating danger all the time to the opposition defence.

"We should have been three or four goals up by the interval and Alfie Pavey scored a great goal just before half time and he was not in an offside position which was disappointing.

"We knew at the start of the second half we had to be patient for that second goal, keep playing our controlled football, not panic when things broke down and I knew we would come good.

"We were solid at the back all evening and I felt even in the second half we should have gone on to score more goals and win by a more impressive margin.

Braintree and Witham Times:

"But 2- 0 is fine and I'm also pleased with the way the players responded after the quite disappointing performance in the defeat at Hungerford on Saturday and they showed their true character throughout this game.

"Let's enjoy our evening and deservedly so and what tremendous support we had from our fans tonight - it was amazing.

"Now we settle down and get prepared for Saturday's crucial home game against Taunton and I will looking for the players to carry on from tonight.

"Before the start of the final I was a little bit worried being without injured John White (skipper) and cup tied Aaron Blair who are important to us but the players that came in did a great job."

Braintree and Witham Times:

After those first-half chances went begging, Braintree needed an early second-half goal to calm the nerves and it came on 57 minutes when Alfie Pavey was hauled down in the Concord area.

He picked himself up to drill home the resultant spot-kick, firing low and hard into the bottom right hand corner giving keeper Mitch Beeney no chance.

The Iron continued to control the game in the second half and with that two-goal cushion never really looked in danger of losing the tie.

Next up for the Iron is a home league game on Saturday against Taunton, who won their Tuesday night league match 1-0 at Welling United. Kick-off is 3pm.