A GOAL deep into stoppage-time from Baris Altintop secured Braintree Town a deserved 2-1 win over Bath City, writes DAVID WARD.

Defender Altintop struck in the fourth minute of five added on to secure the Iron a dramatic victory in their National League South clash in front of a crowd of 525 at the Dunmow Group Stadium.

Braintree manager Angelo Harrop, with just three fit substitutes on the bench, was full of praise for his players.

He said: "I'm really proud of everyone of them because going a goal behind like that right on half time could have let them off the hook.

"But they came out and gave a fantastic performance in the second half when it was clear there was only going to be one winner and that was us.

Braintree and Witham Times:

"I think the crucial extra push from us came with bringing on the second half substitutes - Joe Boachie and Alfie Matthews - because they gave us a new attacking dimension creating more movement up front and we changed our formation too which all added to us being far more assertive and creating problems every time we went forward."

Harrop also admitted that a double save by keeper Jack Sims on 66 minutes was also a crucial turning point.

He said: "Jack has been tremendous for us and made the first save on a one on one with their attacker and then he managed to claw the ball from the second goal attempt with the follow up.

"I think the two subs coming on and Jack's great double saves were the turning points in the game and I feel we ran out worthy winners and it gives us three more important points to keep us pushing up the league."

Braintree and Witham Times:

Having gone behind to a controversial goal two minutes into first-half stoppage-time when the visitors' Jack Batten scored from what was clearly an offside position, Braintree came back strongly and dominated the second half, creating several goalscoring chances.

Home skipper John White scored his first goal for the club with 15 minutes remaining, a welcome equaliser with a tremendous volley into the corner of the visitors' net.

From then on it was all Iron, as they mercifully pressurised the City backline.

A minute after the equaliser, Braintree substitute Alfie Matthews saw his shot come back off the bar.

And for the remaining 15 minutes, the Iron bombarded the City goal going close several times.

Braintree and Witham Times:

Just when the contest looked like ending in a draw, up popped Altintop to drive the low right wing cross into the net.

It was all down to the sterling and determined run by Lamar Reynolds, who forged his way down the right wing evading several tackles before reaching the byline to pull the ball back to the edge of the area where the on-rushing Altintop netted his third goal for the club.

Altintop said: "I just knew that if Lamar could keep going and beating defenders he would square the ball back so I made my mine up in the hope of being in the right place at the right time.

"I think we deserved the win because of our tremendous second half display when we were well on top and causing all kinds of problems for their defence."

Braintree and Witham Times:

After scoring his first Braintree goal, skipper White said: "I know I don't score goals regularly but I was really pleased to put that one way after I had stepped around one opponent and immediately thought 'just go for it' and once I had hit it I knew it was going in.

"I think we deserved to take all three points in the end particularly after they had scored a late first half goal which was clearly offside - then when we questioned the linesman that side who should have flagged he simply said afterwards that the sun was in his eyes and he couldn't see."

Braintree had been forced to make an early substitute on the half hour when defender Kyron Farrell was forced off with an ankle injury.

Jon Benton came on meaning another Iron player retreating to the injury room, although Willie Clemons said at the game his leg injury was not quite as bad as first thought and he hopes to back in action within two weeks.

Harrop expects to have at least one or two new additions to his wafer-thin squad in time for Saturday's visit to Tonbridge Angels.

He added: "We know we've still a lot of games to play and we want to keep up our current momentum and push to the play-offs."

Braintree visit Southend United in the BBC Essex Senior Cup at Roots Hall on Wednesday, kick-off 7.30pm.