DEBUTANT Harry Lodovika scored a late winner as Braintree Town won 1-0 at Dartford in one of their best performances of the season, writes DAVID WARD.

The Iron outclassed and dominated the whole 90 minutes against their promotion-chasing hosts, in what was an all-round impressive display at the Princes Park Stadium.

In reality, they should have won by a bigger margin but it proved a bumper bonanza weekend for the Iron.

They picked up two wins and six points, pushing them up into 15th place and finally dispelling any worries of possible relegation from National League South.

Braintree manager Ryan Maxwell said: "It's been two outstanding performances from all the lads and we fully deserved both victories.

"We knew it was going to be particularly tough at Dartford as they are on a good run, pushing for a high play-off place and had beaten Slough 6-0 prior to our game.

"But we set our stall out, everyone had a particular job to do and they all did it exceedingly.

Braintree and Witham Times:

"But also I felt we played our passing football up and down the park as a consolidated unit, pressing them at every opportunity and not let them settle on the ball anywhere on the park.

"Defensively we were in control and both full-backs pushed on when they could to support our midfield and forwards.

"With a little more composure in attack we could have scored earlier on in the game but we kept up the pressure on their defence and in all honesty they couldn't cope.

"Even though we did finally score the all important goal three minutes from normal time I never doubted that we would find the net and we certainly deserved the victory and three points."

Lodovika came on as a substitute six minutes from time - and had netted two minutes later.

Braintree and Witham Times:

Skipper Matt Johnson swung a high ball deep from the right wing to the far post where the 22 year-old former Hendon and AFC Kempston striker rose above everyone to head the ball into the home net.

It was a fantastic piece of finishing which stunned the 1,423 home crowd who had been expecting their heroes to repeat their Slough victory and walk all over the Iron in their promotion push.

But Braintree were in the driving seat from the kick-off and Dartford made two goal-line clearances twice in the first half.

Maxwell's sensible second-half substitutions also gave fresh impetus to their attack every time they cross the half-way line and there were no signs of players being tired from the exertions against Hemel Hempstead.

Gianni Crichlow emerged from the Iron bench on the hour and tormented the home rearguard and was twice unlucky not to have score with fierce first-time efforts that whistled over.

Braintree and Witham Times:

Every Iron player though played their part in what was an impressive team performance and even when Dartford did look dangerous, Iron keeper William Johnson was on hand to expertly deal with their efforts.

"I'm really pleased with both weekend performances and it shows how far we have come," added Maxwell.

"Winning the game on Saturday obviously helps players in their mindset knowing they we couldn't be relegated."

Braintree's final game is at home to now relegated Billericay Town at the Dunmow Group Stadium on Saturday, kick-off 3pm.