JAMAHL Godward's seventh-minute strike was enough to put Witham Town into the hat for the next round of the Buildbase FA Trophy thanks to a 1-0 win over ten-man Lancing, writes JIM PURTILL.

Godward has been unable to claim a regular place in Town's starting line-up this season.

But he scored his first goal for the club with a fierce shot from the right and put in a good performance that justified his selection, in the second qualifying round win.

The early goal put Witham on the front foot and the home side dominated the early exchanges.

Ben Search shot wide when a Godward pass found a gap in the defence.

The combative Luke Stanley added steel and industry to the Witham midfield and the home side looked comfortable.

It took Lancing 20 minutes to disturb goalkeeper Rhys Madden when Fin Daniels-Yeomans headed over.

Lancing’s policy of continually attacking on the right failed them as Luke Ige was in outstanding form at left-back for the hosts.

Ige was looking to support the attack whenever possible and made two threatening runs that troubled the Lancing defence.

The visitors showed little in attack until just before half-time when they nearly scored twice within two minutes.

Madden had to save with his feet from a long shot by Daniels-Yeomans and from the subsequent corner, Liam Hendy had a glorious chance to score at the near post but headed over.

Minutes later Witham's task was made easier when Lancing's Conrad Honore was sent off, apparently for aiming a kick at Callum Matthews.

The game stretched in the second half and became a good contest.

Both sides had their share of attacking threats but there were few real chances.

Lancing had a ten-minute period of possession and fluid attacking movement in which they threatened to equalise.

Madden was called into urgent action when he just reached the ball before Matt Daniel in a dangerous position.

Lancing made some poor choices in the final third and lacked the quality to unpick the Witham defence in which Billy Wills and Rokas Janilionis were more than a match for the Lancing front men.

The visitors’ spell of dominance faded and their energy seemed to drop, possibly due to their numerical disadvantage.

Witham’s attacking options widened with the introduction of the lively A’maree Robinson-Jones on the right.

He replaced Luke Stanley and his pace and trickery presented Lancing with a different set of problems.

He proved difficult to contain and he forced a number of free-kicks and corners.

Pemi Yakubu replaced Godward for Witham and nearly scored when Lancing goalkeeper Mitchell Bromage left the goal unguarded.

The goalkeeper dashed from the line to kick the ball away but failed to reach it. The ball reached Yakubu whose shot was on target but it was headed off the line.

Witham return to Pitching In Isthmian League division one north action on Saturday with the long trip to promotion-chasing Dereham.