MALDON AND TIPTREE proved once again that they are the team to beat in BetVictor Isthmian League division north after a fifth straight victory, this time against Basildon United.

Jammers boss Wayne Brown had warned against complacency heading into the match, given the Bees’ stunning FA Cup success against Coggeshall Town last Saturday.

However, his side clearly showed the right attitude as they chalked up another impressive victory to maintain their 100% start.

Charlee Hughes netted in only the second minute and Tyrique Hyde soon made it 2-0.

Jorome Slew put the cherry on the cake with a third ten minutes into the second half and Basildon were reduced to ten men after a red card for Ernest Okoh.

There was an intriguing showdown between two of the early high-fliers in division north – COGGESHALL TOWN and Canvey Island.

Both will hope to push for promotion this season and it was the Gulls who seized the early initiative, thanks to a first-minute goal from Joseph Oluwatobiloba.

However, Conor Hubble levelled just after the half-hour mark and Ross Wall pounced in the 70th minute.

Michael Gyasi added a stoppage-time third for the buoyant Seedgrowers.

WITHAM TOWN stormed back from behind to run out 4-1 winners at Histon.

Ed Rolph put the visitors ahead midway through the opening half but the visitors’ response was first class.

Oliver Bell equalised and the same player grabbed his side’s second five minutes before the break.

George Bugg then netted four minutes after the restart to make the points safe and the same player made it four in stoppage time.

It was an excellent victory for Marc Benterman’s men, who had lost their previous two league matches, conceding seven and only scoring once.

As such, given the response and context, it was a result well worthy of winning our star performance award.

Elsewhere, HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS made the long trek to Dereham Town and came home with a hard-earned point after drawing 1-1.

They had to come from behind after Adam Hipperson put the hosts ahead, on 65 minutes.

However, Karl Duguid’s side snatched a share of the spoils thanks to a late leveller from Evans Kouassi.

After back-to-back league wins, BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT were looking to bounce back from last weekend’s agonising, last-gasp FA Cup defeat at Cheshunt.

Hopes were high heading into their match against Horsham but the hosts were left shell-shocked after conceding twice in nine minutes, following an early brace for Chris Smith.

The lead was extended on 36 minutes by Charlie Harris and salt was rubbed into the wound after a second-half fourth from Joe Shelley.