BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT slid to their fourth straight defeat after going down 3-0 at home to Tonbridge Angels, on Saturday afternoon.

The injury-hit R’s went into the contest having lost four of their previous five and without a win since putting five past Burgess Hill Town on November 21.

However, they were unable to stop the rot in their latest Bostik League premier division encounter, at the Taydal Stadium.

Joe Turner’s goal from a looping header separated the sides at the end of an opening half that lacked genuine scoring chances.

The R’s best opportunity of note followed a free-kick by Aaron Condon, which was flicked on and then turned just over by Billy Hunt.

Striker Hunt also went close just before the break with a drive from the left that flashed wide of the near post.

However, Regent fell further behind on the hour-mark, conceding a second scored by Daniel Bennett.

The Tonbridge man converted from close range after a ball in from the left ran invitingly across the six-yard line.

Worse was to follow when former Heybridge Swifts man Sam Bantick made it 3-0 on 67 minutes, smashing home after another ball in from the left.

Bantick nearly made it four, only to strike the post after the Angels broke from a Brightlingsea corner.

The match was watched by a crowd of 261 and Tom Rothery’s Regent will hope to get back on track when they visit Lowestoft Town on Monday (kick-off 3pm).

Elsewhere, HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS ended their year in frustrating style after being pegged back and drawing 3-3 at Waltham Abbey.

Ricky Sappleton scored two of their goals, both from the penalty spot, while Ruel Sotiriou was also on target in a one-sided first half at Capershotts.

However, Billy Holland pulled one back for the hosts on 72 minutes and Swifts were made to sweat when Darelle Russell added a second for Abbey.

Mitch Hahn then popped up with a stoppage-time leveller to deny Jody Brown’s Swifts.

MALDON AND TIPTREE had a home date with Haringey Borough and, after their Park Drive pitch passed a morning inspection, Kevin Horlock’s side scored twice late on to secure a 3-1 victory.

Borough broke the deadlock midway through the first half thanks to Ralston Gabriel.

But Oluwole Akinsanya levelled soon after the break before goals in the last 12 minutes from Joshua Pollard and Ryan Clampin completed a satisfying afternoon for the promotion-chasing Jammers.

WITHAM TOWN had been due to visit Bury Town but the Ram Meadow pitch was left waterlogged by rain and the match called off after a 10am inspection.

Witham host Maldon in an Essex derby on Monday afternoon while Heybridge have a New Year’s Day encounter at home to Bowers and Pitsea (both 3pm).