A PREGNANT mother-of-two who miscarried and later died from sepsis was not treated as an urgent case because a handover to medics was not thorough enough, an inquest has heard.

The inquest into Reeta Saidha’s death, at Chelmsford Coroner’s Court, concluded yesterday but Senior Essex Coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray will wait until Monday to return her verdict.

Dr Amita Sahare started her overnight shift as the on-call registrar in obstetrics and gynaecology at Basildon Hospital on December 21, 2017 at 8pm.

Her handover did not show the urgency of dealing with Mrs Saidha, 38, who was 15 weeks’ pregnant with her third child, and she did not see her until 11.15pm, she told an inquest in Chelmsford, Essex.

On day two of the inquest Mrs Beasley-Murray asked her if the handover had been thorough enough, saying: “Are you saying that at 8pm you did not regard her as an urgent case?”

Dr Sahare said she used the handover to “prioritise” her activity. “It did not inform me about the urgency of seeing Mrs Saidha,” she said.

Dr Sahare recalled it had been a busy labour ward and she could not see Mrs Saidha before 11.15pm when she was in bed and complaining of symptoms including abdominal pain, lower back ache and chest pain.

On the first day of the inquest on Tuesday, the coroner heard doctors failed to give her the opportunity to medically terminate.

Mrs Saidha, of Grays, went into hospital on December 19. She had been diagnosed with sepsis on December 21 at 1.15pm, the inquest heard.

Dr Sahare said she was told of a lady who had suspected sepsis who needed to be reviewed and had a fever during the afternoon.

Lawyers for Mrs Saidha’s family say there were failings in her care, including poor staff communication in handing over Mrs Saidha’s care and seeking input from senior staff, and failure to remove the source of the infection.

Doctors had told Mrs Saidha that the baby was unlikely to survive and she should wait for a natural process having had two previous caesarian sections.

She died on December 23.