A Christmas day burglar who tried to evade police by hiding on a shed roof has been jailed for 21 months.

Adam Watts, 24, admitted to burglary, attempted burglary, theft of a motor vehicle, fraud by false representation and possession of cannabis when appearing at Chelmsford Crown Court on Monday, January 28.

Watts had broken into a property in Romney Close, Braintree, sometime between 12am on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

The crook stole a handbag, wallet and keys to a Volkswagen Golf which he then used to drive off and flee the scene.

Watts then travelled to the Argos store in Stanway and used a gift card belonging to the victim to purchase a 49in TV.

In the early hours of Boxing Day, the thief then attempted to break into a home in Dover Close, Braintree, but was foiled when he triggered an alarm system and was caught on cctv attempting to break into the property.

After receiving reports of burglary, police raided Watts' home in Temple Lane, Silver End, on December 28 where they quickly discovered the stolen gift card and new TV.

Officers attempted to stop a vehicle Watts was travelling in the next day, however the crook fled from the car and led police on a chase. He was eventually found hiding on shed roof where he engaged in a 40 minute stand off before he was talked down and arrested.

Along with a 21 month stint in jail, Watts was also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £170 when he was sentenced in Chelmsford Crown Court yesterday.

Speaking after the sentencing, investigating officer DC Gemma White, of Braintree CID, said: “Watts showed no thought for the victim of his first burglary, breaking into and searching his home while he was away celebrating Christmas.

“He took the victim’s possessions and his car before having the audacity to buy a brand new TV using the victim’s store card.

“Watts left a trail of evidence that proved he was responsible for a number of offence and it didn’t take long for us to find him.

“His attempts to run off were in vain thanks to the good work of a dog handler and he now faces a prison sentence.”