A VEHICLE preparation centre has been damaged by smoke after an electrical fault saw it catch alight.

Firefighters were called to Kia’s Westdrive House in West Drive, Great Notley, at 5.30am on Wednesday.

The site is used to prepare vehicles which are due to go on sale at Westdrive Kia, at Galleys Corner, Braintree, and those which have been sold.

A fire service spokeswoman said: “On arrival, two crews reported that the building was 100 per cent smoke logged.

“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the building and extinguished the fire.

“Crews believe the fire was caused by an electrical fault.”