A BUNGALOW has been left badly damaged after a fire spread into its roof.

Firefighters from Colchester and Coggeshall were called into action shortly before 8pm on Thursday night.

The crews rushed to a Prested Hall Chase in Feering after recieving reports of a bungalow blaze.

Upon arriving at the scene, firefighters discovered the inferno had started on the ground floor of the property, before spreading into the bungalow’s roof space.

After extinguishing the fire, crews ruled fire had started in a light fitting.

A spokesperson for Essex County Fire Service said: "Thankfully nobody was inside at the time but due to the extent of the fire and smoke damage, the bungalow was left uninhabitable."