A much-loved footballer died from multiple injuries after a car accident, an inquest has heard.

Reis Farley-Hearn, of Black Notley, died after a head-on collision between his Mercedes panel van and a Volkswagen Tiguanon on the B184, Dunmow Road, in Thaxted on Wednesday, December 19.

Paramedics and the air ambulance attended the incident, however Mr Farley-Hearn's death was confirmed at the scene.

Essex Police's Serious Crash Investigations Unit were called in to examine the area following the collision.

An inquest exploring the circumstances around his death was opened at Chelmsford Coroner's Court on Monday.

Coroner's officer Andrew Kimche said: "A post mortem was carried out on December 27 and the provisional cause of death was given as multiple injuries due to a road traffic collision."

Senior Coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray adjourned the inquest until May 17 next year.

Mr Farley-Hearn's body will now be released to his family.

Mrs Beasley-Murray said: "I will require a copy of the post mortem and toxicology results.

"I will also need a report from the Forensic Collision Investigation Unit."

Following his death, Mr Farley-Hearn's family paid tribute to an "incredible partner, brother, son, uncle, godfather and friend."

They added: "He was always the loudest and funniest character in the room and had everyone continuously laughing.

“Reis would always care for all his family and friends and was the most loyal person.

“We are absolutely devastated and heartbroken at this time.

“Reis is now back in the comfort of his mum, who sadly passed away eight years ago. We love and miss you, forever and always.”

Since his death, Mr Farley-Hearn's friends have set up a fundraising page in his honour, which has so far collected more than £7,000.

Mr Farley-Hearn was a keen footballer and a regular for White Notley Football Club. He also played for Braintree and Halstead in the past.

Fans of West Ham Football Club have organised a minutes silence before the Hammers' game against Arsenal on Saturday, January 12.