A GLASS ornament caused a fire in someone's garden.

Two fire crews were sent to Wheatley Avenue in Braintree just after 5pm this afternoon.

The fence and decking was alight in the garden.

A spokesman for the fire service said: "When crews arrived they reported the fire had spread to the exterior of the house and the house was full of smoke.

"Firefighters managed to quickly extinguish the fire by 5:35pm.

"Crews then cleared the house of smoke.

"The fire is thought to have started by direct sunlight reflecting of a glass ornament in the garden."