FIRE crews were called to put out a car that was on fire this morning.

A crew from Braintree attended the incident in Skitts Hill, Braintree, at about 8.15am.

Station officer Steve Wintrip said: "The car was a Renault Clio which was 100% alight upon arrival.

"Firefighters wearing compressed air breathing apparatus used a hosereel jet to extinguish the fire in 15 minutes.

"The cause of the fire was deemed to be accidental and is suspected to have been caused by an electrical malfunction in the engine compartment."