Air and sea search for missing man

Latest weather news

Police, Coastguard, the RNLI and helicopters from the police and RNAS Culdrose are conducting extensive searches for a missing 18-year-old

BEST QUALITY AVAILABLE Undated handout photo issued by Devon and Cornwall Police of Harry Martin as an air, land and sea search is underway for the 18-year-old in South Devon.

First published in National News © by

Air, sea and land searches are under way for an 18-year-old who has not been seen since he left his home to take pictures of the weather.

Harry Martin left his home in Membland, Newton Ferrers, near Plymouth, Devon, at around midday yesterday.

Devon and Cornwall Police said Mr Martin was last seen walking in the direction of the coastal path near his home.

Police, Coastguard, the RNLI from Plymouth and helicopters from the police and RNAS Culdrose are conducting extensive searches around the coast and inland areas.

"His disappearance is described as out of character and police are extremely concerned for his welfare," a police spokesman said.

"Anyone who has seen Harry or knows of his whereabouts is urged to contact police immediately."

A Coastguard spokesman said: "They were last seen heading out to take photos of the weather yesterday lunchtime.

"Although missing person inquiries are co-ordinated by the police, HM Coastguard assist by co-ordinating search and rescue along the coastline and out to sea.

"Because the village is situated on the River Yealm estuary, the Coastguard rescue teams from Yealm and Plymouth were sent to search the coastline whilst the RNLI lifeboats from Plymouth searched the sea.

"The Royal Navy helicopter from Culdrose is also on scene, searching the area around Newton Ferrers."

Mr Martin is described as 5ft 11in, and slim with short dark hair, a light beard and blue eyes.

He is thought to be wearing pink skinny jeans and a grey hooded jumper.

Later, police described Mr Martin's family as "distressed" and said they did not wish to speak publicly.

The storms have already claimed at least two lives.

The body of a 27-year-old man from Surrey was found on Porthleven Sands beach in Cornwall.

He had been swept out to sea on New Year's Eve night, having gone for a paddle with friends at nearby Loe Bar.

In a second tragedy on Tuesday, a woman died after being swept out to sea at the popular beauty spot Croyde Bay in north Devon.

The woman, who was believed to be on holiday with her family, was rescued from the sea and airlifted to hospital before being confirmed dead by doctors.

Elsewhere, police in Dorset investigating a report of a man falling into the swollen River Stour in Christchurch have ended their inquiries after no-one was reported missing in the area.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree