THERE were two north Essex derbies as the FA Vase first qualifying round paired WIVENHOE TOWN with HOLLAND FC and FC CLACTON and COGGESHALL TOWN.

On both occasions it was the visitors who progressed to the next round.

Holland edged a 2-0 victory in a hard-fought, fractious contest at Wivenhoe’s GMP Plant Hire Stadium.

Both goals came in the second half and both were scored by Steve Eaton.

First, the striker, who had earlier seen a volley crash back off the bar, connected with a free-kick from the left and saw his backward, looping header fly into the far corner.

Dragons keeper Ben Gallifant got a hand to it but was unable to keep the effort out.

Eaton then added his second with an unstoppable volley that flashed into the top right-hand corner.

The game was marred by two late dismissals, with Wivenhoe substitute Ryan McGibbon seeing red along with Holland’s Danny Slatter.

Over at the Rush Green Bowl, the only tie between two Thurlow Nunn League premier division sides pitted Clacton and Coggeshall.

The visitors had a first-half goal ruled out for offside but with neither side able to break the deadlock, extra time was needed.

It was during this period that Coggeshall scored twice through Nnamdi Nwachuku to run out 2-0 winners.

There was some eye-catching transfer news before the game with Clacton re-signing record appearance-maker Kevin Coyle, after his brief spell at Brightlingsea Regent.

Harry McDonald has also joined from Regent, initially on a one-month loan.

BRANTHAM ATHLETIC had a tough time in their tie at Redbridge, losing 6-1.

Jack Sibbons scored their late consolation goal.

Earlier, Sean Bartlett had seen a penalty saved by the Redbridge keeper.

Extra time was also needed in HALSTEAD TOWN’S tie at Long Melford, before the Humbugs secured a dramatic 2-1 victory.

Having had Kane Gilbert's penalty take the game into extra-time after they came from behind, Halstead got the winner in the 120th minute of the game as Nick Wilderspin's overhead kick found the corner of the net to send them through.

Away from the Vase, there were a handful of league matches and STANWAY ROVERS lost 2-1 in their premier division clash at home to Gorleston.

Romario Dunne had given the hosts an interval lead.

Kem Izzet’s side have signed experienced defender Kyelan Marvell from Clacton.

In division one, LITTLE OAKLEY travelled to Needham Market Reserves and won 4-1, thanks to goals from Jake Kioussis, Louis Reynolds, Lewis Wood and Ryan Smart.

BRAINTREE TOWN RESERVES won 4-2 at home to Leiston Reserves.