Vanarama National League South

Braintree Town were unable to do what Whitehawk's previous five opponents had done, but the Iron still came away from the south coast with another Vanarama National League South point.

Whitehawk headed into the game on the back of five defeats and were able to record their first point of the campaign as Braintree had to come from behind in the second half.

Iron manager Brad Quinton made just one change from the side that beat Hampton and Richmond Borough 2-1 at home seven days before.

That saw Karl Olyide return from the dead leg that had kept him sidelined for the previous game as he replaced Al Mugabo in the starting line-up.

It meant Quinton had three strikers in an attacking side, however, there was no breakthrough in terms of Braintree goals in the opening 45 minutes.

In fact, the Iron found themselves trailing at the break after Pape Gueye put the hosts ahead with a strike in the 15th minute.

The Whitehawk goal came as Richie Whittingham delivered a ball into the box and Gueye rose highest to head powerfully in from close range.

It was a blow after an encouraging start from the visitors, however, they looked to hit back and Dernel Wynter forced the home keeper into a great save with a curling effort that had been heading into the top corner.

The same player was then not able to get a shot on target as he pounced on a defensive error as the visitors were frustrated at the interval. 

That didn't last too long into the second half, though, as Braintree pulled level in the 58th minute when Luke Allen curled a free-kick in to equalise for the visitors.

It brought Braintree back on par but they were unable to force a winner as they had to settle for a point on the south coast.

Braintree Town: Nathan McDonald, Jon Muleba, Ben Wyatt, Oba Osanwonyi, Marc-Anthony Okoye, Scott Shulton, Luke Allen (Tyler Campbell 76), Billy Crook, Phil Roberts, Karl Olyide, Dernel Wynter (Roman Michael-Percil 88).

Subs not used: Christian Frimpong, Al Mugabo, Mahrez Bettache.