HOLLAND FC striker Ray Turner believes his club have a bright future - but insists it is important to manage expectations.

The coastal side are competing in Thurlow Nunn League division one - step six of the non-league pyramid - after gaining promotion from last season's Essex and Suffolk Border League.

After a successful first half of the campaign, they currently sit eighth in the table following Saturday’s 4-0 victory at home to Debenham LC.

Turner welcomes the club's ambition and says it was one of the factors that attracted him to the Rush Green Bowl.

However, he warned that it is important not to expect too much, too soon.

"It's a very good club with the potential to climb even higher," said the former FC Clacton and Stanway Rovers striker, who joined Holland before Christmas after parting company with Wivenhoe Town.

"But it's going to take time to get where we want to get to.

"We've had a lot of new players, including some that are well-known on the non-league circuit. Lads that have been a higher level, like myself.

"People on the outside might be expecting us to win every week and wanting instant success but it's not as easy as that.

"We have to gel on and off the pitch and it's not going to happen overnight.

"We're building and hopefully we will be successful in the future - if not this season then next year."

Holland started the year with back-to-back defeats against Stowmarket Town and Halstead Town.

They then had two postponements in a row, with frozen pitches claiming their games at Diss Town and Needham Market Reserves, before drawing 2-2 at Framlingham Town last Saturday.

Elsewhere in the first division, leaders COGGESHALL TOWN were left inactive following the postponement of their match against Wisbech St Mary.

HALSTEAD TOWN drew 1-1 at Downham Town, while BRAINTREEE TOWN RESERVES had no game on Saturday.

In the premier division, STANWAY ROVERS were back on their travels at Thetford and drew 1-1.

Karl Duguid’s men were hoping to bounce back after three straight defeats – two in the league and one in the League Challenge Cup.

They took the lead before being pegged back.

WIVENHOE TOWN travelled to Gorleston, buoyed by last weekend’s much-needed victory at Swaffham Town.

However, the Dragons were left licking their wounds after a 6-0 defeat.

FC CLACTON needed three points from their crunch match at Long Melford.

The Seasiders started the day second from bottom – three places and eight points behind their hosts.

However, their flickering survival hopes were dealt another blow after losing 4-3.

They were four-down before hauling themselves back into contention, thanks to late goals from Kevin Coyle, Sam Cripps and Jamie Beecham.

BRANTHAM ATHLETIC lost 1-0 at home to Great Yarmouth.