BRAINTREE Town lost out to a goal early in the second half at Woking.

They lost their Skrill Premier encounter 1-0 thanks to a Joe McNerney effort on 59 minutes.

The early pressure came from Woking, who had the majority of the play during the match.

Woking’s Josh Payne had a right-footed shot from outside the box saved by Nick Hamman on four minutes.

The early action was contained in midfield as both sides looked to make a breakthrough.

On ten minutes, the Iron looked to open the scoring but Kenny Davies’ left-footed effort sailed high over the bar.

Chez Issac then crossed for a free-header for Dan Holman but he directed it over the bar.

Braintree then had to soak up a period of home pressure as Woking produce wave after wave of attacks on the Iron goal.

Payne then had a shot from outside the area that sailed over the bar on 18 minutes.

Nick Hamman was then called on to save from Woking’s John Goddard.

Braintree then went down the other end and Holman went close with a shot from distance.

Woking came back at Braintree and Hamman made a great fingertip save to put the ball over the bar following a shot from Keiran Murtagh on 25 minutes.

The Iron went down to ten me while Chez Issac needed stitches following a collision with Murtagh on 35 minutes.

Issac returned to the pitch with five minutes left in the half but neither side could find the back of the net in the first half.

After a quiet start to the second half, Woking broke and fired in a great cross but Dean Wells defended well to head out for a corner.

Hamman then delivered a bad clearance kick and Woking came straight back at the Iron.

Hamman made a great save from Murtagh and the ball went out for a corner.

From the corner, Woking hit the bar and the ball came out to home defender McNerney who fired in for the lead on 59 minutes.

Adam Newton then went close for Woking with a right-footed shot from distance but Hamman managed to make the save.

The home side went close again with a shot from Payne on 73 minutes.

Woking’s Murtagh then had a header from the edge of the six-yard box that just cleared the bar.

Braintree had the ball in the back of the net towards the end of the match following a Jordan Cox header but the referee ruled it out for a push on a defender.

However, the Iron were unable to grab an equaliser and had to settle for defeat.