AN electrical fault started a fire in a garage at a property in Braintree.

Two fire crews from Braintree were called to Broad Road, Braintree, at 6.15pm yesterday evening.

A passer-by had seen smoke coming from the property and notified the fire service.

On arrival at the property, crews found the fire was coming from the garage and had been caused by an electrical fault.

Firefighters worked quickly to contain the fire but then had to cut away the wall to tackle hot spots as the fire had spread into the wall cavity.

Firefighters completely extinguished the fire by 8.20pm.

The garage was left 50 per cent fire damaged and an upstairs bedroom suffered smoke damage.