Braintree Council worker seriously injured in car crash is on the road to recovery

Tara McIntryre (pictured far left) with other apprentices when she started at Braintree Council

Tara McIntryre (pictured far left) with other apprentices when she started at Braintree Council

First published in News by , Reporter

A Braintree Council worker who was in a coma after a car crash is on the road to recovery.

Tara McIntyre, 23, of Panfield Lane, Braintree, suffered serious injuries when the black Ford Ka she was driving was in collision with a black Mercedes convertible in High Garrett in February.

Miss McIntyre was airlifted to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge but has since been moved to a rehabilitation centre in Norwich, where she is making slow and steady progress.

Her colleagues at Braintree Council, where she joined as an apprentice four years ago and became a customer support administrator, have organised a sponsored walk to raise money for her recovery.

See this week's Braintree and Witham Times for the full story.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:58pm Sun 22 Jun 14

/@|_|@\ says...

Why do her colleagues need to go on a sponsored walk to raise money for her recovery? Is this yet another indication that the NHS doesn't work?

I have to assume it is and will use it to demonstrate that I do not want a similar system implemented here where I live. However, I would like to hear other perspectives ...
Why do her colleagues need to go on a sponsored walk to raise money for her recovery? Is this yet another indication that the NHS doesn't work? I have to assume it is and will use it to demonstrate that I do not want a similar system implemented here where I live. However, I would like to hear other perspectives ... /@|_|@\
  • Score: -9

9:40pm Sun 22 Jun 14

Tobiusjuggyess says...

/@|_|@\ wrote:
Why do her colleagues need to go on a sponsored walk to raise money for her recovery? Is this yet another indication that the NHS doesn't work?

I have to assume it is and will use it to demonstrate that I do not want a similar system implemented here where I live. However, I would like to hear other perspectives ...
For such a positive story, this really is a negative post! Clearly the NHS have done a good job so far on getting Tara through such a horrific ordeal. I think her survival shows just what great work the NHS can do for people, and that she is on a slow road to recovery in a new hospital! Think the fundraiser is a brilliant idea, not only to raise some money, but also to show Tara people are thinking of her and are there with her on her recovery. Will be definitely participating and hope for a lovely sunny day! Keep going Tara!!!
[quote][p][bold]/@|_|@\[/bold] wrote: Why do her colleagues need to go on a sponsored walk to raise money for her recovery? Is this yet another indication that the NHS doesn't work? I have to assume it is and will use it to demonstrate that I do not want a similar system implemented here where I live. However, I would like to hear other perspectives ...[/p][/quote]For such a positive story, this really is a negative post! Clearly the NHS have done a good job so far on getting Tara through such a horrific ordeal. I think her survival shows just what great work the NHS can do for people, and that she is on a slow road to recovery in a new hospital! Think the fundraiser is a brilliant idea, not only to raise some money, but also to show Tara people are thinking of her and are there with her on her recovery. Will be definitely participating and hope for a lovely sunny day! Keep going Tara!!! Tobiusjuggyess
  • Score: 14

9:57pm Sun 22 Jun 14

Fidget0610 says...

So pleased to hear Tara is making a good recovery! I know some of her family and know how worried they have been! Well done Tara for your recovery, hope your back on your feet n back to normal in no time! Such a brave brave lady
So pleased to hear Tara is making a good recovery! I know some of her family and know how worried they have been! Well done Tara for your recovery, hope your back on your feet n back to normal in no time! Such a brave brave lady Fidget0610
  • Score: 8

8:41am Mon 23 Jun 14

The Stinker Returns says...

Ok, so we have two stories about young women involved in serious car accidents in the area. Thankfully Tara survived and sadly Bonnie did not and I extend my condolences to her family.

Both accidents involved Mercedes convertibles and both stories are unable to tell us what exactly happened. More details (when available) do help us understand what caused the accidents. Bonnie's car apparently went "out of control" all by itself and then people moan when there is the suggestion that she may have been driving too fast. Perhaps something ran out or she hit an oil slick. Perhaps she wasn't sufficiently experienced to handle such a vehicle.

Both sad incidents but, seriously, people do need to slow down and drive less aggressively. I am constantly being pushed along the outside lane when overtaking on the A12 by boy and girl racers. I am not suggesting that either of these girls were such drivers but it does make you wonder - and people are allowed to wonder.
Ok, so we have two stories about young women involved in serious car accidents in the area. Thankfully Tara survived and sadly Bonnie did not and I extend my condolences to her family. Both accidents involved Mercedes convertibles and both stories are unable to tell us what exactly happened. More details (when available) do help us understand what caused the accidents. Bonnie's car apparently went "out of control" all by itself and then people moan when there is the suggestion that she may have been driving too fast. Perhaps something ran out or she hit an oil slick. Perhaps she wasn't sufficiently experienced to handle such a vehicle. Both sad incidents but, seriously, people do need to slow down and drive less aggressively. I am constantly being pushed along the outside lane when overtaking on the A12 by boy and girl racers. I am not suggesting that either of these girls were such drivers but it does make you wonder - and people are allowed to wonder. The Stinker Returns
  • Score: 2

10:02am Mon 23 Jun 14

Tobiusjuggyess says...

The Stinker Returns wrote:
Ok, so we have two stories about young women involved in serious car accidents in the area. Thankfully Tara survived and sadly Bonnie did not and I extend my condolences to her family.

Both accidents involved Mercedes convertibles and both stories are unable to tell us what exactly happened. More details (when available) do help us understand what caused the accidents. Bonnie's car apparently went "out of control" all by itself and then people moan when there is the suggestion that she may have been driving too fast. Perhaps something ran out or she hit an oil slick. Perhaps she wasn't sufficiently experienced to handle such a vehicle.

Both sad incidents but, seriously, people do need to slow down and drive less aggressively. I am constantly being pushed along the outside lane when overtaking on the A12 by boy and girl racers. I am not suggesting that either of these girls were such drivers but it does make you wonder - and people are allowed to wonder.
Tara was waiting to turn into a farm shop when a driver behind felt the need to over take several cars and ended up hitting Tara in the side, i agree details are limited but in certain situtations investigations are still being carried out. Unaware of what happened to Bonnie but i send my condolences to her family
[quote][p][bold]The Stinker Returns[/bold] wrote: Ok, so we have two stories about young women involved in serious car accidents in the area. Thankfully Tara survived and sadly Bonnie did not and I extend my condolences to her family. Both accidents involved Mercedes convertibles and both stories are unable to tell us what exactly happened. More details (when available) do help us understand what caused the accidents. Bonnie's car apparently went "out of control" all by itself and then people moan when there is the suggestion that she may have been driving too fast. Perhaps something ran out or she hit an oil slick. Perhaps she wasn't sufficiently experienced to handle such a vehicle. Both sad incidents but, seriously, people do need to slow down and drive less aggressively. I am constantly being pushed along the outside lane when overtaking on the A12 by boy and girl racers. I am not suggesting that either of these girls were such drivers but it does make you wonder - and people are allowed to wonder.[/p][/quote]Tara was waiting to turn into a farm shop when a driver behind felt the need to over take several cars and ended up hitting Tara in the side, i agree details are limited but in certain situtations investigations are still being carried out. Unaware of what happened to Bonnie but i send my condolences to her family Tobiusjuggyess
  • Score: 5

11:04am Mon 23 Jun 14

Spirit13 says...

Tara is a beautiful, helpful girl & wonderful human being. I don't understand why the headline had to read "Braintree Council Worker" as this incident did not occur during work times or have any involvement at all with Braintree District Council. All credit to her friends and family that are going to raise money for her and the connection to Braintree District Council is that her work colleagues are organising a sponsored walk.
Can your reporters also remember that the Council that Tara works for is the Braintree DISTRICT Council, not Braintree Council.
Tara is a beautiful, helpful girl & wonderful human being. I don't understand why the headline had to read "Braintree Council Worker" as this incident did not occur during work times or have any involvement at all with Braintree District Council. All credit to her friends and family that are going to raise money for her and the connection to Braintree District Council is that her work colleagues are organising a sponsored walk. Can your reporters also remember that the Council that Tara works for is the Braintree DISTRICT Council, not Braintree Council. Spirit13
  • Score: 4

12:38pm Mon 23 Jun 14

keith_l says...

Why do you assume that the NHS is at fault? Tara was treated at a hospital that specialises in this type of injury and is highly respected.

However, following major surgery, the body takes time to recover, during which Tara would be unable to work. She may even need to spend some time working part time to work back up to full time work.

Obviously I don’t know her employment terms, but it is unlikely that she will receive full sick pay for more than a few months as she has only been working about four years, and wouldn’t receive any extra if working part time.

This is presumably why her colleagues have decided to support her.

However, if Tobias’ comment is accurate, then the other driver appears to be clearly at fault, so any loss of earnings should be covered through that person’s insurance.
Why do you assume that the NHS is at fault? Tara was treated at a hospital that specialises in this type of injury and is highly respected. However, following major surgery, the body takes time to recover, during which Tara would be unable to work. She may even need to spend some time working part time to work back up to full time work. Obviously I don’t know her employment terms, but it is unlikely that she will receive full sick pay for more than a few months as she has only been working about four years, and wouldn’t receive any extra if working part time. This is presumably why her colleagues have decided to support her. However, if Tobias’ comment is accurate, then the other driver appears to be clearly at fault, so any loss of earnings should be covered through that person’s insurance. keith_l
  • Score: 5

1:56pm Mon 23 Jun 14

sKorch says...

This is what I know about the Fund-Raising:-
"The aim is to raise money to help her family with day to day care, to buy things that will help with her development and to also get something that she will love and cheer her up."
Clearly, these are things that are outside the scope of the NHS care, and so the fund-raising is doing an admirable job.
This is what I know about the Fund-Raising:- "The aim is to raise money to help her family with day to day care, to buy things that will help with her development and to also get something that she will love and cheer her up." Clearly, these are things that are outside the scope of the NHS care, and so the fund-raising is doing an admirable job. sKorch
  • Score: 4

2:46pm Mon 23 Jun 14

The Stinker Returns says...

Very useful to have some clarification and very worthwhile fundraising. I always think that when the paper prints these stories how nice it would be have details of the fund so that people can contribute directly on-line. Perhaps there is a Just Giving link?

Equally when poor old ladies have been mugged, I often would like to be able to help with a small donation but you don't get the chance.

There is no mention of the person who caused the accident. Presumably, as I think someone has already said, their insurance will ultimately compensate Tara but shouldn't their actions also be reported in the paper?
Very useful to have some clarification and very worthwhile fundraising. I always think that when the paper prints these stories how nice it would be have details of the fund so that people can contribute directly on-line. Perhaps there is a Just Giving link? Equally when poor old ladies have been mugged, I often would like to be able to help with a small donation but you don't get the chance. There is no mention of the person who caused the accident. Presumably, as I think someone has already said, their insurance will ultimately compensate Tara but shouldn't their actions also be reported in the paper? The Stinker Returns
  • Score: 0

4:05pm Mon 23 Jun 14

sKorch says...

The Stinker Returns wrote:
Very useful to have some clarification and very worthwhile fundraising. I always think that when the paper prints these stories how nice it would be have details of the fund so that people can contribute directly on-line. Perhaps there is a Just Giving link?

Equally when poor old ladies have been mugged, I often would like to be able to help with a small donation but you don't get the chance.

There is no mention of the person who caused the accident. Presumably, as I think someone has already said, their insurance will ultimately compensate Tara but shouldn't their actions also be reported in the paper?
Stinker,
Be careful when you say who caused the incident, there are always 2 sides to a story. The other driver could be innocent.
I think people should wait for a Police report on the Incident.
[quote][p][bold]The Stinker Returns[/bold] wrote: Very useful to have some clarification and very worthwhile fundraising. I always think that when the paper prints these stories how nice it would be have details of the fund so that people can contribute directly on-line. Perhaps there is a Just Giving link? Equally when poor old ladies have been mugged, I often would like to be able to help with a small donation but you don't get the chance. There is no mention of the person who caused the accident. Presumably, as I think someone has already said, their insurance will ultimately compensate Tara but shouldn't their actions also be reported in the paper?[/p][/quote]Stinker, Be careful when you say who caused the incident, there are always 2 sides to a story. The other driver could be innocent. I think people should wait for a Police report on the Incident. sKorch
  • Score: -4

4:07pm Tue 24 Jun 14

/@|_|@\ says...

Thank you for the help in understanding the reasons behind the fundraising and the more positive perspective thus gained.
Thank you for the help in understanding the reasons behind the fundraising and the more positive perspective thus gained. /@|_|@\
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree