Braintree Council has issued a warning over the dangers of food poisoning and campylobacter poisoning in particular.
The potentially deadly bacteria is spread by handling raw poultry and can lead to abdominal pain, severe diarrhoea and vomiting.
Councillor Wendy Schmitt, cabinet member for place at Braintree Council, said: “It’s important that we do our part to make sure that people know to handle and cook food safely for themselves and their families.
“We’re proud to be keeping people in the Braintree district safe and well by being part of this campaign to spread the word and not the germs.”
Campylobacter poisoning can last for between two and ten days and can be particularly severe in small children and the elderly.
The Food Standards Agency has advised people not to wash raw chicken, to be careful when handling meat and to ensure it is cooked properly.