The ambulance service has warned people to take care doing DIY after an elderly man was injured by an angle grinder.
Paramedics were called to an address off Beaumont Hill, Dunmow, just after 3pm on Sunday.
The East Anglian Air Ambulance also attended the scene.
An East of England Ambulance Service Trust (EEAST) spokesman said: "A man in his 70s suffered a wound to his thigh and we managed to control the bleeding at the scene.
“He was conveyed to Broomfield Hospital by land where his condition wasn't thought to be life threatening."
EEAST has issued tips for staying safe during DIY, including:
- Wear protective clothing including safety goggles, gloves and dust mask when working with potentially hazardous materials
- When painting, or using any material that generates toxic fumes or dust, keep the room well ventilated
- Always use the correct tools for the job
- Store tools in a safe place
- When using knives, always cut away from you
- When fixing or checking electrical appliances or connections, always switch off the power
- Erect ladders according to the manufacturer's instructions
- Don't rush as you're more likely to have an accident and carefully plan the job before you start work.