Health bosses insist they are working to relieve pressure on doctors’ surgeries in Witham.
The admission comes following the resignation of Dr Roy Melamed, who had been a GP at Douglas Grove Surgery in Witham since 1998.
The father-of-four, who lives in Bocking, left his post last week after growing increasingly disillusioned with the health service.
He said patient numbers had grown from under 4,000 to more than 6,000 during his tenure, while resources had been slashed dramatically.
NHS England was initially unavailable for comment but has since released a statement admitting it is aware of the pressures the area’s doctors face.
A spokesman said: “Essex Area Team is aware of the pressures within the Witham locality and are working closely with the GP practices in Witham to address local issues.”
See Thursday's Times for the full story