Braintree: Man burnt in fire caused by camping stove used because of power cut (From Braintree and Witham Times)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting BWT to 80360 or you can email us »
Braintree: Man burnt in fire caused by camping stove used because of power cut
10:28am Monday 28th October 2013 in News
An elderly man has been injured after a camping stove he was attempting to use during a power cut exploded and set alight to his kitchen.
The 70-year-old suffered burns and smoke inhalation after the incident in Bell Lane, Great Bardfield, this morning.
Fire crews from Thaxted and Great Dunmow were called to the scene at about 9am.
The fire was extinguished by 9.41am.
Divisional officer Neil Fenwick said: "Incidents like this show the danger of lighting infrequently used gas stoves.
"Our best advice is never use a gas stove indoors, they not only pose a risk of explosion but could also lead to a build up of deadly carbon monoxide gas."
Comments are closed on this article.