Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting BWT to 80360 or you can email us »
Braintree: Mystery bite led to flesh eating horror
9:00am Friday 8th March 2013 in News
A MUM survived a flesh eating bug that left her with a wound the size of 10” pizza after being bitten by a spider.
Sue Isaac underwent six months of treatment after being bitten on the bottom while sunbathing at her friend’s villa in Albox, Almeria in Spain.
The 58-year-old of High Garrett had planned the six week holiday to celebrate her retirement after 35 years of running her business, Sue and Andrews’s Hair Salon in Coggeshall Road, Braintree.
But the mother-of-three was bitten as she sat by the pool just days after arriving in Spain in July last year.
She said: “The bite was like a bee sting but instead of going away the pain probably last 20 minutes.
“I didn’t cry but it made my eyes really badly water.”
She put insect repellent on the red bite mark but over the next few weeks suffered dizziness, lethargy, coughs, colds and even hallucinations.
She noticed a bruise had developed on the inside of her left thigh, which doubled in size and began to be surrounded by a cluster of blisters.
About bouts of extreme tiredness she woke up on August 16 feeling really ill and was taken to see a local nurse, who covered her leg with iodine and sent her straight to hospital.
She said: “A doctor looked at it and went out of the room, I think she said ‘mamma mia’ and five of them came back in.