Witham: Elderly woman taken to hospital after blaze at sheltered flat

First published in News

An elderly woman had to be rescued after a cigarette she was smoking set fire to her home.

The 94-year-old woman was taken to Colchester General Hospital suffering smoke inhalation after the blaze started at her bungalow in Fullers Close, Kelvedon at 8pm today.

Firefighters said they got to her home, which is in sheltered accommodation, “just in the nick of time”.

They also issued her with a warning about the dangers of smoking in bed.

Station Officer and incident commander, Trevor Disley, said: "Crews made their way through dense smoke to find the casualty, who was in bed.

“They carried her out to safety down the internal staircase and she was conscious but very confused when we brought her out.

"Fortunately the smoke alarm went off and we were alerted by Careline.

“We got there just in the nick of time otherwise it could have been a very different story.

“The woman was left in the care of the ambulance service.

"It looks like the incident was triggered by a cigarette, so it serves as a real warning of the dangers of smoking in bed."

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reels to tackle the fire.

It was put out by 9.16am, and afterwards crews ventilated the property.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:39pm Thu 27 Dec 12

Bloomer says...

Does she live in a flat or a bungalow? The writer seems unsur
Does she live in a flat or a bungalow? The writer seems unsur Bloomer
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree